Tuesday, May 29, 2012
We had this spot in our yard. It was ugly. Like, the grass was growing in clumps and the kids dug holes all over it and there were bare spots in between and the lawn mower couldn't fit in between the tree and the fence so part of it was never mowed and it was just an eye sore. So, we took it down to bare dirt. Still ugly, but less ugly than it was to be honest. We had a plan for this ugly spot, we had a plan!
We got a load of decomposed manure from the barn (a perk to having all those cows). And made a slight mound in the center around the tree, sloping it down as it came to the outside edges.
The we laid out the big, permanent flowers that will be the base of our landscape design. Most of these get fairly large and will fill in as they grow.
Some of our selections.
All the little plants in the ground. Keep in mind that this is just stage 1, we have plans for adding springs, summer and fall bulbs so we have some color all year long, we're going to add some smaller perrenials and some annuals as well. The edge is going to be completely bordered by petunias and we'll be adding some blue fescue grass this week sometime.
I'll keep updating as we go along. We're already happier with this flower bed than we were with our dirt patch we had before, and it's not even all that pretty right now :)
In addition to this, we mowed, weedeated, cleaned up and finished planting our garden yesterday afternoon. It was a good day for getting stuff done!